Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Thirteen...

…months that is, but quickly going on 13, I’m afraid. So, I’ve been void of blogging material as of lately. We have been unexpectedly busy, somehow, and sick (are you shocked?). This face was pretty telling of how we spent the weekend. She handed off something to JB and his face was about as pitiful as hers. So, we are a month past the big 1 year birthday. HARD.TO.BELIEVE. This time last year I was on maternity leave, EB had just reached 6 weeks and I had never felt so tired and worn out in all of my life. TIME FLIES and some days I’ve still never felt so tired and worn out in all of my life. It’s all good though and I wouldn’t trade one tired moment.
(funny note: this child LOVES her hat and must wear it whenever it is in her line of vision)
I didn’t think I’d do updates after she turned one, but on second thought that was kinda nuts. She is making leaps and bounds in her motor skills and other skills (that I don’t know what to call them) and I’d be a fool to not recount them for myself.
(editor's note: 1. Yes, my hair is now brown 2. Yes, for those that have asked, that is my running shirt I have on.
3. Yes, I'm still running. Thanks for the encouragement.)
Our walker has turned into a really fast walker who only walks faster if she knows you’re coming. Thank goodness the walls in our house make for a good race track that allows us to go around and around and around multiple times an hour. She thinks that’s REALLY REALLY fun. Simple pleasures. Evie has really flourished (I think I better use that term lightly) with her vocab-coming from a child that wouldn’t utter a word before. While she isn’t throwing around big words like supercalafragalisticexpialadoshus (yep, nor is her mom b/c I just had to google it), she is such the mimic. She’ll say, on any given day:
ball
hey
bye
da (sometimes dada)
Gu (for Gus)
Ho Ho Ho
juice (which I’m thinking is milk b/c that’s what she gets)
sh (for fish)
out
thank you (probably only something JB and I would recognize. It’s pretty garbled).
duck
quack
That’s all I can remember for right now. I need to take better notes.

Not that I’m partial to sign language or anything- since I used to do it all the time- but I am proud that she is learning to sign. I think that’s probably a controversial way to communicate these days, but I would have taught her regardless b/c I know sign and we can talk about things without her dad knowing when she gets older. I’m kidding. So, in her signing she knows:
more
please
all done
milk
bye
hi
quack (I think, if I remember correctly)

While this child loves life most of the time. She has a few aversions. Do NOT get a toothbrush near her face (and, ohhhhh how she needs one desperately). It ends up in an ALL out war with her screaming and me laughing remembering the days of my mom turning her van around on a dime because one of us forgot to brush our teeth before leaving the house. DID WE NOT KNOW HOW BAD OUR BREATH WAS?! On that subject, as mentioned earlier, she has eight teeth plus the blasted molar that FINALLY made an appearance. She drools non-stop and more than she used to, so I think we need to hunker down for another one…it’s a comin’. EB is a CLIMBER! She LOVES to climb and will climb on ANYTHING. I spend most evenings prying her fingers from a death grip as she tries to scale her highchair, furniture, etc.

She LOVES for you to sing silly songs with her. LOVES IT. I would say her favorites are Itsy Bitsy Spider, If You’re Happy and You Know It and Baby Bumblebee. Her interpretation of the motions is priceless. I would show you a video, but I don’t need you to hear me singing. Finally, nothing makes her day more than when Jason Black walks through the door. It’s pretty cute. Mental note: Capture her face soon. I think I’ve shared enough. Bottom line: She’s growing like a weed and we are having so much fun watching her. It’s really quite amazing.

3 comments:

  1. Think that picture in the hat might be my most favorite of EB EVER. She can come scale the walls of this cube any time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful update. I'm so glad that you are still doing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The views expressed in this posting are my own, and do not reflect those of Southern Company or its affiliates.

    /soco compliance'd

    ReplyDelete