Thursday, August 30, 2012

Thursday morning breakfast crew


I’ve been at my job for almost seven years…most of that time I’ve met my grandparents for breakfast every Thursday morning at 7:30. My dad used to join us before he hopped on the retirement train. Then, little EB came along and it became a special time each week they could see her and take her to school for me on their way home. Lastly, my mom moved back into the building and started joining us. So, it has been a special time for us each Thursday.
3 months

18 months-ish
I’ve always been incredibly close to my grandparents and always enjoyed that little tradition. I’ve always had such kind bosses who didn’t mind that we sat down and ate in the cafeteria. It’s always just been a win-win. 

I love riding down the escalator and-ALWAYS- seeing them waiting for us. I can literally count on one hand the times I beat them on a Thursday morning. They love to arrive early and speak to folks walking in the building for work. Anyway, I knew there would be a day that breakfast would have to stop….. Insert today. 

Merry Christmas 2011
On a good note, it is the last Thursday before JBB makes his grand entrance and I go on maternity leave. On a sad note, my grandmother can’t tackle getting two into daycare. We may revisit and evaluate that in November, but for now, we are closing out our Thursday traditions. It’s quite bittersweet, but I’m thankful for 1. The blessing of still having grandparents who are so actively involved in our lives. 2. The tradition of Thursday breakfast for the past 6+ years. 3. That special time with them and for them to have that time with EB. 4. The mental keepsakes of all of those mornings rain, shine, busy or not. They are special and will be missed by my coworkers who got to know them, the ladies in the serving lines and many others who got used to them sitting there and speaking. AND... I'm apologizing now to my coworkers that I will no longer have minty fresh breath post-breakfast with my handful of peppermints.

Precious memories!

3.5 years of breakfast with the Great Grands

No comments:

Post a Comment