Tuesday, July 26, 2011

18+

Time is a crazy thing.. In this case, it moved at an insanely alarming pace, yet not at all. For 18 years (18, I tell ya) one thing has remained the same. A friendship.... And it isn't normal. My best friend moved away when we were in the 8th grade (It was a painful day for my entire family). So, for 16 of those 18 years we were/are in different states.Our moms spent lots of days driving us back and forth until we were old enough to ride the airport shuttle (one of us rode it more than the other...she was such a trooper). Then, we were old enough to actually drive to see each other.... and our matching cars (totally not planned, but this picture sure was...careful coordination took place when I got to her house and realized we had the same shirt).We spent lots of weeks during lots of summers together. Lots of Christmas breaks. Surprise visits. Boyfriends. Engagements. Weddings (one of us flew all the way from Japan for the other's wedding-do you see a trend. She is the better friend) Memories....oh the memories. We've laughed, cried, yelled, fought and laughed some more. We've been through death together and now life.... Our girls are a little over two months a part in age (no, it wasn't planned...she jinxed us), but because of life's adventures, they just now finally got to meet for the first time. Wanna talk about surreal. It was amazing. I couldn't believe we were sitting at a table talking, while OUR girls giggled (or fought) and we both shot each other looks. It's safe to say they've met their match.... And my heart overflowed. I begged AJK to stay and live with me forever because she is a mini-me of her momma and I could handle a dose of her in my life EVERY day. I think she considered it for just a second (AJK, I woulda given you yogurt with a spoon, but the commander and chief said NO). Jason was just glad to finally see a little girl the same height as EB. This girl... This girl is amazing. She always has it together. She is an awesome wife, a better mom and a wonderful friend. Her husband defends our country. She is smart, talented, crafty, level-headed, hilarious, can give JB a dose of his own medicine, is tough as nails and can design a mean kitchen. She was the one that did the math of 18 years while talking to me AND driving down the road- I would have had to pull over so I could count on my fingers. They now live in Texas (one of us stopped in Bham to see the other as they made their trek back)... I'm just glad they're back on common soil. She's the reason our girls got to meet.... It was a precious precious moment for me. I love you, sister-friend. Y'all were the highlight of our summer. Can we do it again soon? Do y'all have dinner plans tonight?

1 comment:

  1. Carly! I remember her! So sweet that yall have girls the same age and have kept in touch! Smiled the whole time reading your post and thought of how GOOD HE is!

    ReplyDelete