Monday, May 7, 2012

Nostalgia

I’m really not sure what it is…. And, I’m also sure you people with older children will laugh, but I have been SO nostalgic lately about EB growing up. I’m usually not a “cup half empty” kinda person, but I found myself thinking how EB will be four in December and that only gives us one more year until she’s five and then the dreaded “big girl school.” I can’t handle all of that. Sure, I know we have like months and months added to a couple of years, but… Do you KNOW how fast time goes? Have you checked up on the date lately? How she is three and not one or two is BAFFLING to me. How she can carry on a full conversation (without even taking a breath all while sometimes arguing), grasp concepts, connects the dots (not literally) from point A to point B…How did we get to this point? Her memory, in case you haven’t been called out by her, is as sharp as an ol’ tack, darnit!
I was looking on the dreaded Pinterest and saw something about a “30 day mom challenge.” I can go either way on these little “challenges,” but I read it for reading sake. One of the suggestions said (just get ready), “Calculate how many more weekends are left until your child graduated high school…” then I closed the link. I’m sure it would equal like 9823452430 but still…REALLY? I was horrified. So, this weekend, we’re going to Hawaii.

Ok…. Or to the playground, but still! MERCY! I LOVE to squeeze her little arms and/or thighs and she always stares at me like something is wrong, but I just LOVE those little arms, legs and hands. They have almost completely lost their baby fat, but they are so tiny and those little hands are so precious (I think the BARBIE pink chipped polish adds character).

Really, the lesson for me in this was just to soak in those moments. I preach it and practice it A LOT, but it was a subtle reminder- or an abrupt head on collision with an 18 wheeler. No… no, I will NOT be calculating how many weekends we have left until she graduates because we’ll just enjoy each little day and not worry about tomorrow. Thanks Pinterest. I’m pretty sure there wasn’t a biblical, spiritual or life lesson in #8, but I found it anyway. She is a precious little blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment