
We have special, silly inside jokes. Really, I just think his two girls+wife always teamed up against him and he just wanted someone on his side. 
So, I grew up a Granddaddy's girl most of the time (knowing my grandmother was usually right and always had the upper hand).Do you know folks in that generation? It's special. Refreshing. Quaint and night and day from today, isn't it? We give him SO much grief because he'll shake his glass and she gets up to refill it when we're all gathered around the table. If he scratches his fork across the plate-get this, wives-she gets him seconds. Is that not hilarious, yet incredibly amazing? If you knew the grief he got from us, you'd laugh too. You know what? My Nannie does so with a servant's heart. Me? I'd huff and puff my fancy self over to the stove and send those beans flying to their place on the plate. It's unreal..... Yet, do you know how much I've learned watching them? After all, they've been married 60 years next year. A-MAZING. He's given me stern talks when I tell him JB is in the kitchen making his own supper.
They come to breakfast every Thursday morning with me. I think they've become the Wal Mart greeters of Corporate America for the early crew who walk past them. Every lady that serves us gets a peppermint and a Lifesaver wintergreen mint from my Granddaddy- Heaven forbid he forget the mints.
I was told, "Holly Lynn, if I say it, you can write it on a rock." That meant serious business.
He taught me to fish, but we always threw them back. Who taught me to float on my back? Well, him, of course. I would sit for hours while he would work and perfect his woodcrafts. Now, Evie plays with some of that very incredible craftsmanship.
He was the first person to tell me my "giggle box was turned upside down" as I tried SO hard to be still while he "counted" my ribs.He took Nannie and me to the circus EVERY year on opening night. Sometimes we would go twice! Now we all go and take Evie.
I grew up going to the Barons game. I felt special because they knew/still know almost every soul out there.I spent the night with them A LOT. He would tuck me in REAL tight and we'd shout "GOOOOOD NIGHT" through the walls. At 7 a.m. sharp I'd JUMP up, rush to get ready and we'd be off to Hardees or Burger King to have breakfast with all of his old men friends. I LOVED to be waiting for him by the backdoor because that meant I was serious.
It's a sweet, old fashion respect and admiration I have. While times have changed, he moves a little slower, she's still so young, they are making very special memories. Evie is so blessed to have my grandparents so actively involved in her young little life. She may not get to "walk his legs off" at Disney World like I did, but she is indeed making her own sweet memories. They waited for her with bated breath. She's named after her Gran Nan. I wouldn't trade these memories for a thing this world has to offer. 
Yesterday we celebrated his 79th birthday. What a blessing!
I know this was a long post. Kudos to you if you're still looking through this window into our lives. We're simple. Often times boring, but we like it like that.



Maybe I do have a soul. This made me tear up a little bit. Love this post!
ReplyDeleteI was terrified as I scrolled through that the "and holding..." in your title meant he was ill or in the hospital or something. Whew. Another birthday. You are such a sweet family. I love these glimpses.
ReplyDeleteI love this post and I love your grandparents!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet, sweet post, Holly! Your grandfather doesn't look anywhere close to 79!
ReplyDelete