Once upon many years and a long time ago Jason became a huge Cubs fan. He follows them and knows their history as well as their current events, but the opportunity to see them play at the historical Wrigley Field has never worked out....... UNTIL Father's Day 2010.During our stay in Chicago, the Cubs had a series with their rivals the Cardinals (I'm from Alabama and I can only relate this to you as an Auburn and Alabama kinda rivalry, maybe?! Possibly?! I think so). So, tickets weren't exactly cake to find. So, with some help from a baseball fanatic co-worker of mine, I did some research, talked to the veteran Wrigley goer and got the cold hard facts. Consulted another friend who is also a baseball nut (What the heck is the deal with baseball? Sure, it's America's past time, but what about football?), and finally made an executive decision (I don't EVER make these without consulting JB because, well, that's just how I operate). So, I did it. My chest swelled with pride and every few days leading up to Father's Day I'd drop giddy hints and beg him to open his gifts early. To no avail. Such a stickler, that ol' Jason. Anyway, the day came, I was beyond silly-giddy and he began the gift opening......... My heart was racing........ VOILA! CUBS/CARDINALS TICKETS!!! So, it was set. He was BEYOND surprised and there it began....... The countdown for the man to live out his childhood turned lifelong dream. **was that dramatic and built up enough???***
Even I, the not so partial to baseball member of the family, got excited and was patiently waiting and looking forward to game day.
We got our attire pressed and ready for the big day. Wouldn't you know we woke up and it was pouring rain in Chicago. Panic ran through my body because we aren't from around those parts and I'll be darn they couldn't cancel that game. Not to mention, we couldn't be that close to Jason doing what he's always wanted to and it being RAINED OUT!!!! For the love!! He's the most selfless, giving person and I was hell-bent on this day being ALL about him. To spare you, just know it ended up being the most gorgeous [W-A-R-M] day.
After a thrilling ride on the Red Line leaving me desperately craving hand sanitizer, we arrived and there she stood, THE Wrigley Field. The rest is history, in this case, PHOTOS.
The boy and his dream.
Taking it all in.
It's Wrigley. The place was packed out. Even the buildings across the street built stands on their roofs and sell tickets (Alabama fans aren't even that crazy).
They won in the MOST exciting, down-to-the-wire game. Truly. The traditions during the game, post-victory and in every other aspect, really did remind me (and got me QUITE excited) of Alabama football. I know. I know.
It was great. I felt right at home.Since I keep mentioning my alma mater, it's only appropriate I show you this...... We'd been in a far away land. I could barely understand the northern accent. I was afraid to open my southern mouth to reveal my twang. The big city wore me slap out.... Then, as if I was sent a special sign, I saw something familiar that drew me in........

The CRIMSON TIDE flag!! Roll Tide! That's right, dead in the heart of Chicago. There's a bar there called Houndstooth Saloon (I think I was told it was established for the alumni around Chicago). It was so cool, but it was OH SO packed-see, Bama fans (or not) stretched far and wide. So, we got these photos and went about our way, sadly! Oh well, it was a sight for sore eyes!It (the game, not the bar) was by far the highlight of our trip. It was a blast. I may be a Cubs fan now- good thing since I have a shirt. I also live with a tiny Cubbies fan who thinks they are EX-CITING.......




So glad JB realized his dream. And you realized yours with the Hershey's store cookie brownie combo. Great vacay.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you guys had a great time in Chicago. I was fortunate enough to visit Wrigley Field on several occasions and always had a wonderful time except the time in April where I froze to death. I still have not been to a night game there though. Thanks, Bill
ReplyDelete