Friday, October 23, 2009

EB approved

So, if you know me at all, you know that I.RARELY.COOK.PERIOD. As a matter of fact, I hate to cook. By the time we get home at the end of the day, cook dinner, eat and clean up, it’s bed time. SO…. to remedy that… I rarely cook. I KNOW! I KNOW! I’m slightly ashamed of it. If I enjoyed it, it wouldn’t be so bad, but I don’t. All that to say, when I DO cook (did I mention that’s rare?), I do have a few favorite things…and well..stipulations. First of all, I’m horrible at math, so don’t give me any INSANE measurements b/c I can’t do the math. Also, there needs to be like 5 or less ingredients. Lastly, don’t give me anything that requires me to visit something other than the normal grocery store. I don’t have the time or the patience for all of that business, ya see. I know this is breaking some hearts… I’m sorry.

This is one of my favorite things. Some of you “healthy people” are about to pass clean out in your chair. I mean, it’s Paula Deen and that probably says enough (it doesn't appear to meet one of my stipulations, but it does b/c most of this stuff you have at home,right, surely we aren't THAT unhealthy):

Twice baked potato casserole:
8 medium baking potatoes - about 4 pounds
1 (8-ounce) package of cream cheese, at room temperature
1 stick of softened butter
1 pint of sour cream
2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese (divided use)
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
1/2 cup of chopped chives, for garnish
6 slices of bacon, cooked crisp, drained and crumbled for a garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Pierce potatoes and place on baking pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until very soft.
Peel and mash potatoes in a large bowl with a potato masher or the back of a fork. Add cream cheese, butter, sour cream and 1 cup of cheddar. Stir well. Add garlic, salt and pepper, and stir again.
Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place potato mixture in dish, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate casserole until ready to bake.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, remove plastic wrap and bake casserole for 30-35 minutes, until hot. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of cheddar over casserole and return to oven for about five minutes, until cheese melts. Garnish with chopped chives and crumbled bacon before serving. Makes 10 to 12 servings.


It's so darn good that you start off with manners, but you really just want to get down and dirty with it.
This is high on my list of “favorites” that I cook. It’s kid tested, mother approved kid approved, may be a better slogan. I think it’s safe to say that it would give you your dairy intake for the ENTIRE day…..well, maybe carbs too. It will also give you melt downs when you take it away.

2 comments:

  1. pictures tell the story, perfectly i might have to try this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. EB is too cute! That recipe looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete