Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Forever a mom...

...Even when you daughter doesn’t write about you for over a week. Mercy.

We DID celebrate Mother’s day and all the women in our lives. We ALSO celebrated JB’s birthday on the same day. During all of these celebrations we ALSO got EB’s hair cut for the first time. What a day, I tell ya.
JB turned 33 and had to celebrate his day with an ocean of estrogen + a tiny ‘tude who rules his world. He is so wonderful to our little family and works so very hard for us. We love you, JB. Moving right along. The fam came over to celebrate the moms, grandmom and aunt in our family who have helped to mold and shape us into who we are today. Ironically, my “Nannie” is a MEAN cook and I didn’t inherit a SINGLE one of those genes. That’s INCREDIBLY unfortunate. In fact, all of the dishes “we” brought to the table were, in fact, prepared by Jason. Domestic Goddess I am NOT. I can iron…and do some mean laundry…I’m REALLY good at cleaning toilets....

This lady right here is my lifesaver.
(can we get an updated pic soon, folks? I've since fixed that mess on my head-the woes of going back natural..)
She doesn't hesitate to run down to EB’s school and grab her if/when I get stuck. She is QUICK to let EB spend the night at “nightclub” when we have something going on. She jumps to rescue EB when we have the virus of the week- usually resulting in her being the next victim. She is SPEEDY fast at putting herself last and aiding in any of her kid’s needs at that moment. In EB’s short life, I have learned how quickly UNIMPORTANT my needs/wants are when it comes to those of my child. I think I learned that from watching my mom. NEVER have our needs gone unmet. NEVER was there a sporting event, recital, program, concert, etc that I was not able to look out and see my parent’s faces, my grandparent’s faces and my aunt’s face all smiling back. Never, I tell you. NOT.ONE.EVENT. That goes for the brother too. Since Jason has entered this family, that goes for him too. That is special. My family is really special…. we operate under a group of special ladies (and who…well… I really didn’t get good pictures of). Onto the tiniest lady in the group. Sister-friend DID NOT, let me repeat, DID NOT enjoy the spa we set up in the kitchen. I shouldn’t be shocked that she didn’t want to be still, but I was. It took LOTS of strength, singing, choice words under my breath sweet words, conniving, manipulating, fruit on a stick to get her to cooperate. My aunt is one impressive and talented lady to wrestle the bull and STILL cut a straight line. Nonetheless, the child got her ears lowered and I’m happy. I couldn’t handle the stringy mess it was quickly becoming.

(See stringy mess)

Outtakes:




As for me on Mother’s Day, I was honored. My mom honored me. My husband honored me. Of course, it’s an honor to be a mom to my MOST precious gift. Since becoming a mom, I’ve gotten all kinds of serious emotions working for me. So, I find myself quite sentimental. Sentimental over having a family to celebrate and to celebrate with. Having a mom who I can still talk to WHENEVER I want to. Having a grandmother who I can still talk to WHENEVER I want to, eat breakfast with EVERY Thursday morning and to share my child with her who is LITERALLY the highlight of her life, I’m preeeetty sure. My heart was heavy this year, too, because we’ve had a few friends who have lost their moms….aware of a few moms who have lost their most precious gifts. My heart hurt for them, yet made me celebrate “my” day just that much more. I’m surrounded by incredible moms. I meet them at McDonalds so their kids can play and I can ask a MILLION questions. I live across, up and down the street from some of the best, I work with great moms and my child attends school with kids who have great moms. So, I feel blessed…. and I’m honored, I really am, every single day. --However, I don't feel so "proud" of this angle..Thank you, brother, for capturing the triple chin. It takes A LOT to get EB to smile for the camera-

2 comments:

  1. K does a great job- she wrestled and cut Sam's hair this past weekend. If it was me Sam would have been nicked and huge chunks cut out everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought a lot about you Mother's Day weekend. It has been special to be around you and Jason a couple of times with EB (I hate it hasn't been more often). From a former daddy's little girl, I can't even begin to explain how much my mom has become a strong part of my life since college and is now a daily phone call. Little Black is a very lucky girl to have such a good mom as well.

    ReplyDelete