Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What we love….

So, this really is a random post and probably only helpful for those in the world of drool, spit up, formula eating creatures and diapers. I get asked a lot about stuff that we’ve liked, not liked, what brands we use, etc. So, what better way to expound than on the blog.

Let me start by saying that people are/were SO generous to us. EB came into this world spoiled rotten, and, well, some things haven’t changed. What a blessing to look around our house at the baby land I’m surrounded by and realize how much we are all loved.

So, let’s begin and let me see how I can narrow this down to a decent post.

It all began in the early days of EB’s life, yet not soon enough, when we realized that she was allergic to milk-based formula. I nursed for a wee bit and would supplement at night with formula. Before we started her on soy, I would go through BOTTLES of……. Literally there would be a bottle in every diaper bag and room in my house!

She comes by it honestly, but she not only struggles with eczema, but with sensitive skin in general. So, for all of that we use LOTS of (I have a daily regimen for the eczema, so those that are familiar with the lovely skin patches don’t freak out. I was told this is ok too)…. We are always outside, as aforementioned a million times, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my stroller. IT WAS A GIFT from a sweet and generous family and we are forever grateful. The whole stroller debacle stressed me out more than ANYTHING. Yes, I know that makes me sound utterly ridiculous, but I wanted an all-purpose stroller, yet one that I could drop my infant carrier into, but one I could take outside and to the lake and to the mall and “off roading”…you get my point. SO, we went with this a City Elite by Baby Jogger: My undying love for this stroller is just that- UN-DY-ING. I kiss it daily (kidding). Most importantly, EB LOVES it and it solves all of her “witching hour” problems. PUH-LEASE don’t roll your eyes or balk… Did you know I pull one strap and the whole thing collapses? Bet you didn’t. It’s FABULOUS and it goes EVERY where I go (kinda like the My Buddy dolls when I was growing up). As I type this I can hear my uncle laughing, am I right, Bill?! I bet so.

Moving on….

I decided to pay the piper and invest in these: Pretty much hate them! So, one day Jason was out and bought these:
See, that yellow halo around them? It's there for a reason!! Yes, I realize they are a little pricier, but can I tell you how much we love these bottles. Is it bad that we save these for ourselves and send the blasted Dr. Brown ones to daycare? I think not. You know, it wasn’t even all the pieces that made me mad with Dr. Brown, it was just the fact that it was a WASTE of my hard earned (or gift card) money. BOO! I have a friend that also uses the Born Free bottles and we share a love for them. They are just great. Again, don’t judge, just saying this is what we like and admitting that I was the fool that fell for Dr. Brown. Just saying. This is just one of those preference thingies just like…

PACIES. Of course the lactation folks at the hospital about died when they walked in and EB was going to town on a paci. At least, upon further review by them, it was one that they “approved” (I’ll spare you the details of “why”). We went with the Avent ones. I have no idea why. I gave JB the gun and told him to fire away as we were registering and we all know how that goes down. So, Avent it is-lactation specialist approved- and all is well.

Really, this probably isn’t helping anyone.

On a side note, I loved our boppy, but it wasn’t the life-saver I was told it would be. I kept it close by, but it never really changed my life. It was used for a prop for pictures such as these in the early days:

A bouncy seat may just be a bouncy seat. HOWEVER, I do love my bouncy seat! EB did/does too. After all, it was her bed for the first 2 months of her life. A little on the pricier side (again, generous, sweet friends) of bouncy seats, but it’s awesome and we still use it occasionally.
Another life saver came in her later months because she wasn’t so much a fan in the beginning (maybe b/c I had it too high, but that’s neither here nor there) and that was her swing. OH HOW WE LOVE OUR SWING. Since EB refused (I love that I can say that past tense since she’s been doing it all for a WHOLE week now) to take naps in her crib, she napped in this lovely contraption. Who knew you didn’t have to wind up swings anymore AND that they vibrate AND have sound machines included. THEY DO! She’ll swing forever. LOVE THE SWING. I think we may have like 5 more pounds left in the swing. THANK GOODNESS! Let me preface this before going ANY further… If you know me, you know I spent my life baby sitting, right?! Well, I was never one for movies and cartoons. Kids need to be outside playing. I mean, they can play inside too..JUST PLAY! So, I’m really not a fan of any of that business, but SOMETIMES I just need to cook (that’s laughable) or change clothes or do laundry or SOMETHING. EB is quite enamored by the TV, so I have to watch it (no pun intended). HOWEVER, I was introduced to the PraiseBaby (nope, not a typo) collection. OH MY GOODNESS. WONDERFUL! Baby Einstein is ok and EB will watch it, but NOTHING like the PB collection. The child will not move, utter a noise, divert her eyes, NOTHING. It’s awesome. AND…. all the while I have praise music floating through my house and that’s ALWAYS an attitude lifter. LOVE PRAISEBABY! Even Jason is a fan and ready to invest in more. They are awesome and I HIGHLY recommend them. Ok, this is getting boring. So, while there are a ton of things that make our little world go ‘round and keep everyone in their happy place, these are just a few. Love her highchair and bumbo seat. Our pack n’ play saved the day when we came home from the hospital and now when we head to the lake. Love her infant carrier, but it’s as heavy as lead, yet her next car seat will likely be the same company (Britax):

As we grow and more things change my life, I’ll let you know. If you’re bored, this won’t happen again for a while.

6 comments:

  1. I think this is a great post because you have all those memories of things that were so very important in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post...I will need all your excel spreadsheets when the time comes...in about 100 years.That and you will need to hold my hand in Babies R Us...I think I almost fainted when I went in there the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, I've already commissioned HB to write a book on all this jargon. We clearly get free copies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you'd have had EB before we had Gracie so we'd have known what to buy =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. well well... So glad you enjoyed. Sarah actually is the one that gave me this FABULOUS book that had ratings, comments, etc of EVERY baby product you can imagine. So, it was VERY helpful. I mean, all the way down to the company that made my baby bedding! AWESOME STUFF!

    ReplyDelete